YBHG. TAN SRI DATO’ SERI ABDULL HAMID EMBONG
Tan Sri Hamid joined PW TAN & ASSOCIATES as a consultant on 28th September 2016. He is currently a director in Board of Director of Ancom Berhad and the Chairman of the Board of Director of 7-Eleven Malaysia Holdings Berhad. Tan Sri Hamid is also a member of the Monetary Penalty Review Committee (MPRC) of Bank Negara Malaysia.
Tan Sri Hamid finished secondary schooling at the Malay College Kuala Kangsar, Perak. He obtained a Barrister at Law degree at the Lincolns Inn, London and was admitted as an Utter Barrister in 1976.
Tan Sri served in the Judicial and Legal Service of the government of Malaysia and was appointed to various posts including that of a Magistrate, Deputy Public Prosecutor, Legal Advisor and Senior Federal Counsel with the Customs and Excise Department, the Economic Planning Unit (PM Department), Ministry of Land and Regional Development, Treasury, Ministry of Home Affairs and Legal Advisor to the States of Negeri Sembilan and Pahang.
He was appointed a Judicial Commissioner in 1994 and a High Court Judge in 1996. In 2006, he was elevated to the Court of Appeal and in 2009 to the Federal Court, Malaysia. He retired from the Bench in February 2016. In a span of 21 years on the Bench, Tan Sri Hamid has delivered 306 judgements and opinions at the High Court, Court of Appeal and Federal Court, involving all areas of both criminal law and civil law including torts, contracts, administrative law, corporate and banking law, land law, insurance law, maritime law, environmental law and family law. Also the interpretations of various provisions of the Federal Constitution of Malaysia. These judgements are published by various law journals in Malaysia.
Read more »
- 1976 : Joined the Judicial and Legal Service as a Legal Officer with the Attorney General’s Department
- 1976 : Appointed as First Class Magistrate in the Magistrates Court in Terengganu
- 1977 : Appointed as Senior Assistant Registrar to Justice Syed Agil Barakbah at the High Court Alor Setar (Research Officer to the Judge)
- 1978 : Appointed as Federal Counsel at Public Service Department, Negotiations Division (dealing with anomalies in wages and terms of service of public officers)
- 1980 : Appointed as Deputy Public Prosecutor Penang High Court
- 1981 : Deputy Solicitor General at the Federal Treasury (handling negotiations for loans and legal documentations)
- 1983 : Legal Advisor at the Ministry of Land and Regional Development (advisor to the Ministry on all legal matters relating to land)
- 1988 : Deputy Public Prosecutor with the Custom and Excise Department (prosecuting cases investigated by the department and advisory capacity in tax matters)
- 1989 : Senior Federal Counsel at the Economic Planning Unit at the Prime Minister’s Department (dealing primarily in privatisation matters)
- 1989 : Legal Advisor to the State of Negeri Sembilan (legal advisor to the State government including drafting of laws and state enactments)
- 1990 : Legal Advisor to the State of Pahang (legal advisor to the State government including drafting of laws and state enactments)
- 1992 : Legal Advisor to the Ministry of Home Affairs (legal advisor to the Ministry on all legal matters including the drafting of laws)
- 1994 : Appointed as Judicial Commissioner at Ipoh High Court
- 1996 : Appointed as a Judge of the High Court Malaya
- 2004 : Appointed as a Judge of the Criminal Court in Kuala Lumpur
- 2006 : Appointed as a Judge of the Court of Appeal Malaysia
- 2009 : Appointed as Judge of the Federal Court Malaysia
- 12 February 2016 : Retired as Judge of the Federal Court Malaysia
- 1 March 2016 – Current : Appointed as a director in Board of Director of Ancom Berhad (Public listed company specialising in agricultural, industrial and petrochemical products)
- 20 July 2016 – Current : Appointed as the Chairman of the Board of Director of 7-Eleven Malaysia Holdings Berhad (Public listed company with its primary business in convenient store chains).
- September 2016 – Current : Appointed as a member of the Monetary Penalty Review Committee (MPRC) of Bank Negara Malaysia
Read less »