Tan Jyy Mei, Shermaine
Shermaine advises on mergers and acquisitions, cross-border transactions, joint ventures, real estate transactions and other corporate advisory and regulatory work.
Shermaine joined PW TAN & ASSOCIATES as a partner on 1 April 2014. Before joining the firm, she was with Zaid Ibrahim & Co., practising under the Corporate Commercial Practice Group, where she worked primarily on several large-scale cross-border corporate transactions and other corporate advisory matters.
She has advised in various corporate transactions including mergers, acquisitions and joint ventures, domestic and cross border, in various industries such as insurance, banking, retail, manufacturing and automotive sectors. Shermaine has also been involved in many corporate exercises involving due diligence exercises and submissions to the regulatory authorities.
Since joining PW TAN & ASSOCIATES, Shermaine has been involved in advising clients on a diverse range of legal practice, ranging from corporate and commercial to conveyancing and wills drafting. She is also knowledgeable and experienced on advising start-ups and entrepreneurs as well as advising local and foreign artistes, artiste management and event companies for entertainment related legal matters.
Read more »
- Advocate and Solicitor of the High Court of Malaya
- Master of Laws in Professional Legal Skills from the City University London, United Kingdom
- Barrister-at-Law, Lincoln’s Inn
- Bachelor of Law (Honours) from the University of Reading, United Kingdom
- Acted as a local counsel to an international automotive company
- Advised and assisted in the collaboration of a German automotive company with a local government linked listed company
- Advised and assisted a Middle Eastern financial institution on its successful application to Bank Negara Malaysia for a commercial banking licence
- Advised and assisted several manufacturing companies for their successful applications to the Ministry of International Trade and Industry (MITI) and Malaysian Investment Development Authority (MIDA) for their manufacturing licences
- Advised on the sale of clothing retail business of a local conglomerate to a multinational retail conglomerate
- Acted as a local counsel to a multinational insurance company on the re-organisation of its Asian businesses
- Advised on the joint venture between two cooling towers developers for a joint development project based in the South East Asia Region
- Advised an international insurance company on a bid process to acquire a general insurance company in Malaysia
- Various due diligence exercise, including that in relation to internal audit of a multinational food and beverages company
- Other advisory work covering corporate law, securities law as well as reviewing and commenting on various agreements
- Advised and acted for a SME entity in acquiring assets of a manufacturing plant
- Drafted collaboration agreement and commercial agreements for a shopping mall in Johor
- Drafted commercial agreements for a five-star rating hotel in Kuala Lumpur
- Acted as a legal counsel and advised on the business structure of a local three-star rating hotel chains in Malaysia
- Advised several local new start-ups and entrepreneurs on their business legal requirements
- Advised and drafted security documentation in respect of retail banking facilities
- Advised on local sale and purchase transactions including residential and commercial building project, commercial and industrial land
- Advised and acted for a local developer for an industrial property development project
- Advised an artiste management for an endorsement contract of an international artiste by a global brand
Read less »