MARIETA ABDULL HAMID
Marieta advises on mergers and acquisitions, cross-border transactions, joint ventures, real estate transactions and other corporate advisory and regulatory work.
Marieta had extensive experience advising Sime Darby Berhad and its group of companies in her capacity as their in-house legal counsel. Through her 7 years of experience with the multi-jurisdictional conglomerate, Marieta provided a full range of service-oriented legal advice and support covering domestic and overseas joint ventures and collaborations, corporate exercises, corporate restructuring and corporate finance. Marieta was also part of the Group Legal–M&A team established under the Strategy and Business Development Department of Sime Darby Berhad focusing on the strategic aspects in relation to mergers and acquisitions, takeovers and cross-border transactions for the Sime Darby Group.
Since joining PW TAN & ASSOCIATES in 2015, Marieta has been advising a diverse range of clients, from emerging companies and innovative start-ups to multinational conglomerates.
Marieta was awarded a tertiary scholarship by Yayasan Sime Darby and graduated with a double degree in Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting) and Bachelor of Law from the University of Melbourne, Australia.
Read more »
- Advocate and Solicitor of the High Court of Malaya
- Certificate in Legal Practice (CLP)
- Bachelor of Law the University of Melbourne
- Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting) from the University of Melbourne
- Acquisition and due diligence process of a US based entity (“US Entity”) by a Malaysian plantation conglomerate, through the subscription of approximately 62% of the US Entity’s Series 4 preferred shares, in 3 tranches. This notable transaction led to the signing ceremony before the Prime Minister of Malaysia and the President of the United States of America.
- Assisted in the due diligence process conducted in relation to the USD1.5 billion multi-currency Sukuk issuance programme. This transaction was shortlisted in the 2014 ALB Malaysia Law Awards for Debt Market Deal of the Year and Islamic Finance Deal of the Year, and was voted 2013 Corporate Finance Deal of the Year by the Islamic Finance News.
- Joint venture between a wholly owned subsidiary of a listed company with an offshore company in respect of a mixed commercial development in Cyberjaya with an approximate gross development value of RM 1.15 billion
- Acquisition and due diligence process in respect of the acquisition of shares worth Baht 250 million in a palm oil based company in Thailand.
- Acquisition and due diligence process of shares by a Malaysian plantation company in special purpose vehicle endorsed by the Malaysian Prime Minister (“SPV”) in 2 tranches which resulted in a 40% stake held by Malaysian plantation company in the SPV.
- Review of facilities agreement of US$ 830 million equivalent involving various local and international financial institutions as Joint Mandated lead arrangers.
- Advised a China-owned Malaysian entity focusing on online trading platform on Malaysian regulations and Bank Negara Malaysia (BNM) guidelines and requirements relating to payment gateway and electronic money (e-money).
- Advised a Malaysian mobile application company focusing on e-wallet business on Malaysian regulations and BNM guidelines and requirements relating to electronic money (e-money).
- Advised a Malaysian mobile application company focusing on online restaurant booking business on Malaysian regulations and BNM guidelines and requirements relating to pre-payment transactions and electronic money (e-money).
- Disposal of 75% of shares in a private Malaysian power energy company which runs a 440MW open cycle gas turbine power plant to a listed company which is one of the leading IPP in Malaysia.
- Disposal of a Malaysian energy company’s power business in Thailand via a share sale by way of auction to one of Thailand’s leading private power generation companies.
- Assisted in the bidding process in the tender process for the Prai combined-cycle gas turbine (CCGT) power project.
- Advisory work on Personal Data Protection Act for a property development company which developed the 10 acres residential property development project in Duta Kiara, Mont Kiara.
- Advisory work on Personal Data Protection Act for a public listed company on the ACE Market which provides mobile value-added services with operations in Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong, Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia.
- Assisted in the roll-out of a Malaysian public listed company’s Personal Data Protection Act Programme and its Compliance Manual.
- Assisted in the roll-out of a Malaysian public listed company’s Competition Act Compliance Programme and its Compliance Manual.
Read less »